3rd edition of Dubai Design Week opening tomorrow!
Held under the patronage of Her Highness Sheikha Latifa bint Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-Chairman of the Dubai Culture & Arts Authority, and in partnership with Dubai Design District (d3) and supported by Dubai Culture & Arts Authority
For the third edition of Dubai Design Week, the weeklong event returns with a larger more diverse programme, strengthening Dubai’s position as a global hub for the design and creative industries. Dubai Design Week will take place across the city with over 550 designers participating in a six-day celebration of ground-breaking design and ideas, free for all to attend.
Key facts include:
– Dubai Design Week, established by Art Dubai Group in 2015, has grown to include over 200 events staged across the city
– Downtown Design doubles in size with over 150 exhibitors across 28 countries, and will feature 90 new high-end international and regional brands
– Global Grad Show, reinforces its position as the world’s largest and most diverse meeting of design graduates, showcasing 200 projects from 92 universities across 43 countries.
– The return of the Abwab exhibition will provide visitors with a unique insight into techniques, materials and craft through 47 selected designs from 15 countries within the MENASA region
– Casablanca takes centre stage as this design week’s selected ‘Iconic City’ The exhibition, ‘Loading…Casa’ curated by Salma Lahlou will showcase works from five Moroccan designers.
– d3 remains the home of Dubai Design Week as the event’s commercial design hub and an ‘open museum’ of design.
– One of the world’s most influential architects, Sir David Adjaye will headline the talks programme for Dubai Design Week in conversation with Emirati commentator Sultan Sooud Al-Qassemi
William Knight, Dubai Design Week’s Head of design, said: ““This year’s Dubai Design Week programme truly reflects the innovative and collaborative spirit of Dubai. We’re delighted to have collaborated with so many people and companies to present the largest programme of design staged in the region. The line-up contains a hugely diverse range of content, enabling local and international visitors to explore the latest design trends and the ever-developing design scene within one of the most creatively ambitious cities in the world.”
Dubai Design Week is a key driver for the growth of the regional design scene. Bridging together local and international design communities, the event is a platform for designers and creatives to revel in the latest design trends as well as be inspired by emerging talents coming out of the region. The annual event brings various stakeholders in the industry together to collectively stage a fantastic programme of over 200 events from exhibitions and installations to talks and workshops.
d3’s Chief Executive Officer, Mohammad Saeed Al Shehhi, says: “d3 is delighted to be the strategic partner and host of this year’s Dubai Design Week. Celebrating design from across the region and further afield, Dubai Design Week truly demonstrates d3’s commitment to enabling Dubai to become a leading global design platform for Dubai and the Middle East, and at the same time, ensuring d3’s position as a destination for design”
Dubai Design Week’s ambitious agenda aims to further connect the global design hubs with the regions burgeoning design spirit. Further placing Dubai on the creative map. Dubai Design Week reinforces itself as a unique platform to allow visitors to discover beyond the expected and discover the innovation, talent and design that drives Dubai forward.
Rawan Kashkoush, Head of Programming at Dubai Design Week said: “This year’s programme is as rich and diverse as the city that hosts it. With a spirit of collaboration and innovation regional and international creatives have come together to present a brilliant showcase of Design. Dubai is an anchor point for so many regions, I am very excited to see design take flight across such diverse disciplines to share one sky. Dubai Design Week belongs to so many.”
The third edition of Dubai Design Week will be held from 13-18 November 2017. Be there! For the full programme, and more information about Dubai Design Week visit: www.dubaidesignweek.ae.
COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS FROM OUR READERS
28th SALON INTERNATIONAL DE LA HAUTE HORLOGERIE
15-19 JANUARY 2018
PALEXPO GENEVA - SWITZERLAND
March 22 – 27, 2018
Messe Basel, Switzerland
- Audemars Piguet golf Dream Team meets up in Dubai
- Celebs shined with Chopard at the Bambi 2017
- The entire Grand Touring spirit
- Chopard wraps up a successful first edition of the Chopard Classic Rally in Dubai
- 3rd edition of Dubai Design Week opening tomorrow!
- Fit for a Queen
- Welcome on board with the Omega Aqua Terra
Atom Moore is a professional photographer who specializes in watch photography. He is the resident photographer for the Red Bar Crew in NYC and the man behind the camera at analog/shift.
Jan Tegler is a writer/author with his work appearing in a variety of international publications on subjects ranging from military affairs and aviation to business and finance, motorsports, wristwatches and automotive reviews.
Nancy Olson has been writing about watches, jewelry and writing instruments for the last twenty years and has contributed to a variety of international magazines on these topics. She has a particular interest and expertise in women and mechanical watches.
Angus Davies is a self-confessed horological addict with his passion leading him to the launch of his own website, Escapement. He now regularly writes articles for other websites and magazines.